Pages

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Music Camp

Last week, I was privaleged to help out in IBC's music camp. It was one of the funnest experiences I've ever enjoyed!!! It was like being a camp counselor (a role I have very much enjoyed in summer's past!!!), music teacher,and accompanist all in the same week. I got to work along side some of my own favorite teachers and a bunch of talented amazing students!!!! On top of all that, I got to do BUNCHES of accompanying... so my fingers were very busy at the piano all week. 
In just five days, our talented campers coordinated a piano octet: a grand total of 79 fingers going at the same time. And,yes I am bad at math, but I did not miscalculate. One of the students fractured his thumb in a game but creatively found a way to compensate for the injured thumb and performed three times in the final concert. Impressive, I know.  All of them participated in at least one other ensemble and several perfected some previously performed pieces that they showcased in the Friday night concert.

All together playing Perpetual Commotion.


A fun picture of the piano camp!!!
For me, one of the best parts was hanging out with my two brothers who are both talented pianists. It was so fun to watch them get excited about music, meet new people, and learn new things.
For me this picture offers several interesting aspects. First of all, it is painfully obvious to me how tall my brothers are and how short I am. Secondly, in my opinion, one of the most valuable points of the picture is the monstrous nine foot concert grand in the background. Thirdly, you might find it interesting that we chose this piano as our background instead of the Steinway or Wienbach. Yes you read correctly... instead of the Steinway and Wienbach... what a choice that was to make. And finally, I think some one is trying to get out of the way for the picture (note the kneeling body behind the piano)... either that or worshipping the beauty!!!

The crowning glory of the week was the camp wide performance of supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. I think I did spell it right because they performed the broadway version which features the spelling of the word three times. After rehearsing the song with the choir about fifty fimes, I could spell it in my sleep. It was a very fun song to accompany... lots of sparkle and fun and plenty of opprotunities to add my own touches. I proudly bear a small skin abraision on my right hand pointer finger from too many glissandos. I conclude with the first verse as written by IBC music camp choir.

We had such fun at music camp, its really quite absurb.
We laughed, played games, told jokes, rehearsed, but then you've probably heard.
There is on bit of information that you might not know.
We spent nine hours to learn ONE WORD and this is how it goes....

Supercalifragil... and you know the rest.

1 comment: