Pages

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Happy Birthday, Sister

A couple of days ago, I posted some pictures of my sister and I celebrating her 19th birthday. Well, today was my second sister's birthday. For those of you who do not know Kelly's story, she spent just eight short hours here on earth. I wanted to do something special to celebrate the day of her birth and home-going, so I bought her a birthday card and gave it to my parents.
I think it is important to celebrate life, no matter how long or short. Besides, Kelly is very much alive in heaven. That is something to celebrate!!! Of course I wish I could have grown up with her, but I firmly believe God works all things, even sad and bad things, for his glory and our good.
This is a very personal story and I hesitated to post anything about Kelly. The last thing I would want to do is trivialize her memory or seek pity for my family's loss. My primary motive is to inspire you, dear reader, to celebrate life, even in death. Perhaps you have a loved one who has died or maybe you know some one who has lost some one close to them. Celebrate the memories and the life that was lived. If they died with thier sin account settled by the sacrafice of Christ, they are with God. That is something to celebrate!!!
Here is an excerpt from the note I wrote:

"I know, dear sister, that wrapped inside your sick little body was a vibrant personality, funny quirks, and undeveloped talents. I can't wait to meet you and learn about you...."

Perhaps you have a special way of celebrating the lives of those who are no longer with us. I would love to hear about it.

1 comment:

  1. Good post, Katie. :) Our daughter, Jessica, died when she was 6 1/2 months old and we often do things to celebrate her birthday and to remember her on the anniversary of her death. If you click on our link and look at our blog, under the heading "Jessica" in the label cloud you can read about her.

    So sorry you didn't get to know Kelly here, but just think of that reunion one day! :)

    Amy :)

    ReplyDelete