Pages

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Ducks and CIA Agents.

The March days of Arizona are unspeakably beautiful so... I have REALLY been enjoying my "bi-weekly" walks. (I know, its not much for exercise- but its the best I can do with my schedule and its better than nothing). Not far from our house runs a long canal that is used for irrigation. It is set between two housing developments with nice walking areas on both sides. I love to walk up the road and along the canals. One of the highlights of my walks is watching the ducks swim around in the canals. They amuse me immensely. As I have gotten to know these ducks, I have made some very interesting observations.
First of all, has anyone else ever noticed that ducks are naturals at synchronized swimming.???? In a way, its kind of romantic. When I see a male and female duck swimming together, they always turn in perfect rotation and at the very same time. Sometimes I wonder what the ducks do all day on the canal. I wish I could spend days on a lazy river floating around with Daniel. That thought brings me to my next point.
Ducks remind me of two people who have been married for a long time. It seems to me like the male duck is the one always coming up with the ideas of what to do next, and the girl duck just kind of goes with the flow. There is just something about a male duck that makes him seem so pompous and confident. And girl ducks seem so gentle and meek. Young married people never act like ducks; they both have their own ideas about how things should go. But I suppose after a while, two people just know each other so well, they don't have to say much. I have an older friend who is so smart and quiet. Her husband is an outspoken, adventurer. She loves him so much she just quietly goes a long with everything he comes up with. Watching them interact is about as amusing as watching ducks.
Lastly, ducks, especially male ducks, remind me of CIA agents talking into a hidden lapel. Duck quacks are very loud and distinguishable, but when I watch them make noise, it seems like they are talking under their breath. This morning, I was walking along the canal and in the distance I saw two ducks with their heads tucked in their wings. As they felt me approaching they both woke up and the male duck slowly got ready to take flight while quacking to his wife the whole time. It really sounded like he was trying to keep their secret plan of escape quiet so I wouldn't figure it out.
And those are my thoughts about ducks.

No comments:

Post a Comment