Pages

Friday, March 4, 2011

What to do with a fifteen year old????

Dad just came home after a long trip back east (see previous post). So Mom wanted the house to be quiet for the afternoon. She asked if I would hang out with Zachary. I himmed and hawwed... and agreed... and wondered what in the world I would do with my fifteen year old brother for six hours!!!!
After a few crazy and- I admit- lame idea (the lamest of which included a trip to Jo Anne Fabrics...) I decided to take him to the Museum of Musical Instruments. One of the few things I have in common with my brother is a crazy love of music.
It was amazing!!!!! Our favorite exhibit was the Experience Gallery. It was filled with bunches of hands-on instruments that guests were free to experiment with. We both hit the big Asian gong and played around with morrocas. I really had fun with the Taiwanese instruments. (Amazing Grace and Brethren We Have Met to Worship are both based on the Pentatonic scale- perfect for Asian music)  Zach really rocked the funky, African xylophone while playing "Under the Sea."
Each section of the upper floor featured a country and its unique musical instruments. We toured each of the countries and enjoyed the rich musical heritages!!!! To top it off, we both played on the GORGEOUS piano in the museum lobby. For us geeky musicians, the whole experience was a heaven on earth!!!!

2 comments: